EEA Nationals & Family Members

Submit your form to us

European Applications

As an EEA or Swiss national, you have the right to live and work in the UK (known as the ‘right of residence’) if:

  • you are working here (and have obtained the permission to work if this is required); or
  • you can support yourself and your family in the UK without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds.


If you have a right to live the in the UK, your family may join you here.

If you are a student, only your spouse or civil partner and dependent children have a right of residence.

If you and your partner are not married or in a civil partnership, you must be able to show that you are in a durable relationship with each other.

Family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals

If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals, they may need to apply for an EEA family permit before they can come to the UK. This permit is similar to a visa.

Working in the UK

If you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, you do not need to apply for permission to work here.

Registration certificates, residence cards and family member residence stamps

A registration certificate is a document, issued to an EEA national that confirms the holder’s right of residence under European law. You do not need a registration certificate to be able to enter, live in or work in the UK.

Residence cards are issued to the family members of EEA nationals who are not EEA nationals themselves. The card is normally valid for 5 years.

Permanent residence

When you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years, you can apply for confirmation of permanent residence.