Tag: Visa



Our clients, who are Ukrainian nationals, were initially refused to enter the UK. They wanted to join their refugee child who was living in the UK with her grandmother. The grandmother had been struggling to provide adequate care for the child because she also cares for her husband who suffers from complex healthcare needs. The family’s separation was because of the conflict in Crimea, where our clients continued to live during the appeal process.

Sterling Law successfully appealed the aforementioned refusal.

In accordance with AT and another v Eritrea [2016] UKUT 227 (IAC):
Decision to maintain separation of the family is a disproportionate breach of the appellants’ Article 8 rights. The importance of the best interest of the child and the clear interest in maintaining the family unit outweighs the need to maintain immigration control.

The Judge accepted the applicability of the aforementioned case, and thus, despite the fact that

  • neither of the appellants spoke English and
  • both were dependent,

the Appeal was allowed on the basis of Article 8 ECHR and our clients where granted entry clearance in the UK and reunited with their child.

Similar immigration problem? Do you believe the Home Office made a wrong decision? Contact our experienced lawyers for professional advice.

Book consultation here:

Or book a free 15 min phone call with us!

Or just email us:


Refugee Travel Document

Travelling with UK Refugee Travel Document: Visa Requirements and Restrictions

Can you help? We are trying to help our client who is facing the risk of being persecuted by his own government for refusing to commit a crime by killing others at a politically motivated war.

His initial application was refused by the Home Office. However, following a successful appeal, he now has another hearing at the end of April after the case was remitted to the Upper-Tribunal.

The client needs to raise £30,000, which will cover the barrister fees of senior barrister QC and junior barrister, who are already instructed on the case and lead the previous successful appeal.

You can help here.


Please kindly note, the information below is provided for reference purposes only. The requirements might have changed since the last update. Please contact the embassy of the country you would like to travel to for confirmation. We suggest you do so via email to have a written confirmation that you indeed can travel to show to airline staff if needed.

Please kindly note, we will not be able to advise whether or not you can travel.

The holders of the Refugee Travel Document issued by the United Kingdom under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees can travel visa free to many countries all over the world. However, many counties have their own restrictions and require the Refugee Travel Document holders to obtain visas even for short-term tourist visits.

As the entry rules change frequently, the travellers should always check visa requirements of the country of their destination prior to the trip.

Also, a valid UK residence permit confirming your refugee status in the UK must be taken for the overseas trips together with the Refugee Travel Document. Some countries also require confirmation of the reservation of the return tickets and proof of the purpose of the trip to allow a visa free entry.

The following countries require visas for the visitors with the Refugee Travel Document (blue) issued under the 1951 UN Convention:

The following countries DO NOT require visas for the visitors with the Refugee Travel Document (blue) issued under the 1951 UN Convention:

List of Countries that DO NOT ALLOW ENTRANCE for the visitors with the Refugee Travel Document (blue) issued under the 1951 UN Convention:

  • UAE – Dubai
  • Qatar – Doha

This list is subject to changes so we recommend to double check information on the current visa requirements before your travel arrangements.




Follow our Facebook page and YouTube Channel for latest UK immigration and legal updates

Validity of the Refugee Travel Document

1951 UN Convention Refugee Travel Document (blue) is issued by the United Kingdom to:

  • A refugee who has been granted asylum in the UK. If you have been recognised as a refugee under the terms of the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, you may apply for a 1951 UN Convention refugee travel document (blue).
  • A person who has come to the UK on a Family Reunion visa to join a refugee who is present in the UK.

The Refugee Travel Document Normally is normally issued for up to 10 years for adults and for up to 5 years for children, or in line with limited leave. It also may be issued with a shorter validity if considered

All travellers should note that many countries require that the Refugee Travel Document is valid for a minimum period of six months from the date of entry into the country. If validity of the travel document is less than six months, a refugee should apply for renewal. It is also important to apply for apply for extension of the UK residence permit prior to its expiry date.

Some countries, e.g. Denmark, require that the travel document (passport) should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay only and you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.




Requirements for Refugees to Become Settled in the UK (video)


Other updates:

Employment Rights of Refugees in the UK

Illegality of Employment Contracts

New Rules for Refugees: Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement) Applications 

Changes to the Immigration Rules 2018

New Fees: British Passport Applications

Apostille and Document Certification in London

How to Apply for British Passport Online 

Legal Assistance in the UK

For expert advice and assistance in relation to your particular case and relevant immigration law requirements, please send your enquiry by e-mail: contact@sterling-law.co.uk or via our online appointment booking form.


Football World Cup in Russia: Visas, Migration Control & Registration

This summary describes the main visa-free entry, migration control and registration requirements applied to the supporters travelling to Russia for the 2018 FIFA Football World Cup.

On the 11th May 2018, the Embassy of Russian in the UK published an official updateInformation on foreign citizens’ migration regulations and registration at the place of temporary residence during the 2018 FIFA World Cup™

According to this statement, foreign nationals and stateless persons, visiting the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ football matches, can enter and exit the Russian Federation between 4 June and 25 July 2018 without visas, using identity documents (passports, travel documents) and a FAN ID (personalised football supporter card) issued either in the paper (laminated) or electronic form.

FAN ID to Visit Russia for Football World Cup

The FAN ID entitles a foreign spectator to enter, temporary reside in and exit the Russian Federation during the football tournament.

The FAN ID is a personalised football supporter card, which is part of football fans’ identification system.

The FAN ID is issued to all football supporters to ensure their comfortable and secure stay at the stadiums in Russia during the football World Cup matches. All supporters, who have purchased tickets for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ matches, must obtain this card.

The FAN ID is a personalised laminated card, which is issued free of charge and once for each spectator.

How does FAN ID work:

“Fan ID” holders are permitted to enter without a visa and stay on the territory of the Russian Federation from 4 June 4 to 25 July 2018.

  1. Buy a ticket for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™
  2. Register on the website and receive a confirmation
  3. You can get a FAN ID by mail or at one of the FAN ID Distribution centres
  4. Use your FAN ID for free travel in Russia
  5. Take your FAN ID with you for admission to the stadium 

Information on the procedure for obtaining a Fan ID can be found on the websites of the organizers of the above sports events at: www.fan-id.ru and www.welcome2018.com.

Fan ID Guide

Info for Travellers

Information for FIFA World Cup 2018 Travellers

The information on the migration legislation and foreign spectators registration

Entry to Russia: Migration Card & Registration

A migration card is handed out to each supporter by the Border Control officers on arrival to Russia. This card must be retained by a visitor during the whole period of stay in Russia.

In case of damage or loss of the migration card a visitor must apply to the migration subdivision of the territorial office of the Ministry of the Interior Affairs of Russia (the “Migration registration body”) at the place of temporary residence to obtain a duplicate.

Foreign nationals visiting Football World Cup venues in the cities of Volgograd, Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Kaliningrad, Moscow, Nizhniy Novgorod, Rostov-on-Don, Samara, Saint Petersburg, Saransk and Sochi between 25 May and 25 July 2018 must register at the place of their temporary residence within 24 hours after arrival to each city.

If a visitor intends to stay in one of the above cities less than 24 hours, he/she should not register, except in cases when he/she stays at a hotel.

Foreign nationals who are taking part in the sporting events, including Football World Cup participants, as well as representatives of the FIFA and FIFA subsidiaries, confederations and national football associations, and who are included in the FIFA lists, shall not be subject to registration at the place of their temporary residence (According to Article 8 of the Federal Law dated June 7, 2013 No 108-FZ “On preparation and hosting of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in the Russian Federation”).

Who can host World Cup visitors in Russia?

The citizens of the Russian Federation, foreign citizens and stateless person having permanent residence in the Russian Federation (holders of residence permit), as well as legal entities and their subsidiaries or branch offices can act as the hosts (Hosting Parties) for the foreign nationals visiting Russian for the Football World Cup.

When a foreign national stays in a hotel, the hotel’s administration is the host (Hosting Party).

In order to fill in the Notification of Arrival at the Place of Temporary Residence (the Notification of Arrival) a foreign national must present to the Hosting Party identification document and migration card. In case a foreign national arrives to a new place of temporary residence he/she must also present to the Hosting Party a detachable part of the Notification of Arrival issued at his/her previous place of temporary residence in the Russian Federation.

The Hosting Party fills in the Notification of Arrival and submits it together with copies of all pages of the visitor’s identification document as well as the copy of migration card to a Migration registration body, which stamps the Notification of Arrival and returns the detachable part of the Notification of Arrival to the Hosting Party.

The Hosting Party then gives to a foreign national the detachable part of the Notification of Arrival. The fact that the visitor has the detachable part of the Notification of Arrival with the mark of reception confirms his/her migration registration.

There is no government fees or other charges for registration at the place of temporary residence.

The Hosting Party’s non-submission of the migration card to the Migration registration body can not serve as ground for a refusal to accept documents necessary for the foreign national’s registration at the place of temporary residence.

Submission of the Notification of Arrival and necessary documents via the post, through multifunctional centers, the Unified Portal of State Services or by electronic means in the course of the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ is not allowed.

A foreign national has the right to register his/her arrival at the place of temporary residence with the Migration registration body by him/herself in case there are documented reasonable excuses (illness, physical impossibility, etc.) preventing the Hosting Party from submitting the Notification of Arrival to a migration registration body.

The foreign nationals permanently residing in the Russian Federation and holding a residence permit have a right to notify the relevant Migration registration body of his/her arrival at the place of temporary residence by him/herself directly with the written consent of the Hosting Party.

Foreign nationals, who have not undergone registration at the place of their temporary residence are not subject to responsibility for violation of the migration registration rules, except in cases when the duty to register lies with the said foreign citizen (According to Article 24 of the Federal Law dated July 18, 2006 No.109-FZ “On the Foreign Citizens and Stateless Persons Migration Registration in the Russian Federation).

Additional Information

Foreign citizens who in the course of the Football World Cup plan to temporary reside and travel around Russia exclusively by buses, camper vans, personal transport means, small vessels, etc. are not subject to registration at the place of the temporary residence.

For the purpose of timely registration of the football supporters, the territorial offices of the Ministry of the Interior Affairs of Russia will be open on a daily basis, including weekends and public holidays.

Legal Assistance

For expert advice and assistance in relation to your particular case, please contact our lawyers on Tel. +44(0)20 7822 8535, Mobile / Viber: +447463382838, by e-mail: contact@sterling-law.co.uk or via our online appointment booking form.

Ukraine introduces electronic visas (e-Visa)

From April 2018, the Consular Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine started issuing electronic visas (e-Visa) for entry into Ukraine. E-Visa is a completely new project for Ukraine, which will implement new online application process and modernise existing visa procedures.

Online applications for electronic visas (e-Visa) for entry into Ukraine with a business or tourist purposes can be submitted through this web-page: http://evisa.mfa.gov.ua.

To apply for an e-Visa:

  1. Fill out an online application form
  2. Upload scanned copies of the required documents
  3. Pay a visa fee by bank card (MasterCard Worldwide or Visa International), and
  4. Print out electronic visa which sent to you directly by e-mail.

E-Visa applications are available for citizens of the following countries:

Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Barbados, Bahrain, Bolivia, Bhutan, Vanuatu, Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras, Greenland, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Cambodia, Qatar, Costa Rica, Kuwait, Laos, Mauritius, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Oman, Palau, Peru, El Salvador, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Singapore, Suriname, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Fiji, Jamaica.

Terms and benefits of e-Visa:

  • Remote submission of documents  and receipt of an e-Visa without the need to visit a consular office;
  • Possibility of online tracking of e-Visa application status;
  • Centralised registration of all e-Visas in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine;
  • Continuous information support for applicants by e-mail: evisa@mfa.gov.ua;
  • Processing time – up to 9 business days;
  • Visa fee – 65 USD;
  • Term of visa validity – single entry for up to 30 days.


Check if you need a visa for Ukraine

To check whether you require a a visa to enter Ukraine please visit the web-page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Visa Free Entry into Ukraine

The nationals of more than 60 countries (including, Brazil, Canada, Israel, USA and EU states) can enter Ukraine without a visa for visits of up to 90 days within a 180 day period. Otherwise, you will require to apply for a visa. For full list of countries and respective visa requirements, please visit this web-page.

Updated List of Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Authorised Endorsing Bodies – June 2017

In June 2017, the list of authorised institutions for Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa applications was updated by the Home Office.

The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) route is for graduates who have an outstanding business idea that they wish to put into practice in the UK. Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) will have a central role in identifying graduates who have developed genuine and credible business ideas or entrepreneurial skills, and in endorsing and supporting them.

Only those institutions listed below are able to endorse graduates wishing to apply under this route:

  • Anglia Ruskin University
  • Arts University Bournemouth
  • Ashridge (Bonar Law Memorial) Trust
  • Aston University
  • Bangor University
  • Birmingham City University
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
  • Bournemouth University
  • BPP University Limited
  • Brunel University
  • Cardiff University
  • City University London
  • Coventry University
  • Cranfield University
  • De Montfort University
  • Edinburgh Napier University
  • Glasgow Caledonian University
  • Goldsmiths University of London
  • Heriot-Watt University
  • Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
  • King’s College London
  • Kingston University
  • Lancaster University
  • Leeds Beckett University
  • Liverpool Hope University
  • Liverpool John Moores University
  • London Business School
  • London Metropolitan University
  • London School of Economics and Political Science London
  • South Bank University Loughborough University
  • Middlesex University
  • Newcastle University
  • Northumbria University
  • Newcastle Norwich University of the Arts Nottingham
  • Trent University
  • Oxford Brookes University
  • Plymouth University
  • Queen Mary University of London
  • Queen’s University of Belfast
  • Regent’s University
  • London Royal Academy of Music
  • Royal Agricultural University Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
  • Royal College of Art
  • Sheffield Hallam University
  • SOAS, University of London
  • Southampton Solent University
  • Swansea University
  • Teesside University
  • University College London
  • University for the Creative Arts
  • University of Aberdeen
  • University of Bath
  • University of Birmingham
  • University of Brighton
  • University of Bristol
  • University of Buckingham
  • University of Cambridge
  • University of Derby
  • University of Dundee
  • University of East Anglia
  • University of East London
  • University of Edinburgh
  • University of Essex
  • University of Exeter U
  • niversity of Glasgow
  • University of Greenwich
  • University of Hertfordshire
  • University of Huddersfield
  • University of Hull
  • University of Kent
  • University of Leeds
  • University of Leicester
  • University of Lincoln
  • University of Liverpool
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Northampton
  • University of Nottingham
  • University of Oxford
  • University of Portsmouth
  • University of Reading
  • University of Roehampton
  • University of Salford
  • University Of Sheffield
  • University of South Wales
  • University of Southampton
  • University of St Andrews
  • University of Stirling
  • University of Strathclyde
  • University of Sunderland
  • University of Surrey
  • University of Sussex
  • University of the Arts London
  • University of the West of England
  • University of the West of Scotland
  • University of Warwick
  • University of Westminster
  • University of Worcester
  • Guildhall School of Music & Drama

Full information is available on the UKVI web-site.