What is surrogacy itself?

  • When a woman carries and gives birth to a child with the previously agreed intent of the child being given over to an individual or couple, who will then raise the child as their own

Types of surrogacy and relation to parental and legal rights

  • Surrogacy law can get extremely complex
  • To explain this, we will use an example family
  • Parent F is the female parent of the child that is being had for them through surrogacy
  • Parent M is the male parent of the child that is being had for them through surrogacy
  • Surrogate F is the female, biological parent of the child, and is giving birth to them with the full intent of handing the child over to parent F and M
  • Surrogate FN is the female, non-biological parent of the child – she has been given the eggs of parent F and with the sperm of parent M – she is simply carrying the child
  • Surrogate M0 is the biological male parent of the child, which has been used to fertilise the egg given to the surrogate mother. Surrogate M0 is not the father in the relationship
  • Parent M1 is the surrogate father who is a relationship with Parent F, and their sperm is being used to fertilise the egg given to the surrogate mother. They are also parent M.
  • There are two main types of surrogacy:
  • Partial, where the genetics are those of Surrogate F and Parent M1
  • Total, where the genetics are those of Parent F and Parent M1

Now that we’ve set out the (complex!) guidelines, who is who to the child?

Surrogate F and Surrogate FN are both the mother of the child legally. If she has a husband, even if it is not his DNA, the husband will be treated as the legal father in certain circumstances.

Essentially, by using a surrogate, you lose a lot of rights to your child, including parental rights and responsibilities. However, this is where Parental Orders come in. Sterling Law will help you with this complex process to ensure you are recognised as the parents of the child. After the parental order, you and your partner will be the legal parents of the child, if the court accepts it.

Why Sterling Law

We value your time. After the consultation, we will let you know what the next steps are. We will request the documents we need, and only call you when necessary. We are proactive, will update you on your case as soon as we have any news so that you don’t need to call, meaning you can rest assured that no actions are needed from your side.

We haven’t forgotten about you, but we believe you’d rather spend time doing something that really matters than on the phone with a lawyer.

Other services
Divorces Divorces

Getting divorced has both an emotional and financial toll. Without a good lawyer behind you, you may end up getting the short end of the stick, and relitigation is never something you want to go through. That’s why Sterling Law is here to help.

Read more
Children Matters Children Matters
  • Custody in a divorce is arguably the most important decision that has to be made, both by you and the court for what is in the “best interests of the child”
  • Sterling Law can help you, whether mother or father, to get rights to see and spend as much time as possible with your children.
Read more
Civil Partnerships Law Civil Partnerships Law

Civil partnerships are an increasingly popular method of solidifying one’s relationship and demonstrating your commitment to your partner. However, they can be difficult to navigate, so we have compiled a guide for the different steps and requirements involved for a civil partnership, and you can contact us for any help needed during the process.

Read more
Adoption Adoption


  • The child that you wish to adopt must be under 18 (at the point when the application is made)
  • The child must never have been married or in a civil partnership.
Read more
Domestic Abuse Domestic Abuse
  • Domestic abuse is one of the worst things that can happen in a relationship, and it is extremely important to get out of this relationship as fast as possible
  • Often, it is not as simple as leaving the relationship – especially if you are married.
Domestic Abuse
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    STERLING LAW 29.09.2020
    Recently there was a decision in the Court of Justice of the European Union in Case C-311/18 – Data Protection Commissioner v Facebook Ireland Ltd and Maximillian Schrems. The CJEU has confirmed...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    UK VISA FOR EU CITIZENS 20.05.2021
    A recent change to immigration laws has made it easier for foreign businesses to send EU workers to the UK to fulfill the contractual obligations they owe to UK customers. EU workers, however, will...
    Our client was employed as a bus driver and had 18 years of continuous employment. He had a clean record with no warnings or incidents.  While driving in the rain, he had been involved in one un...
    Read more
    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided:

    Statutory demand 17.05.2021

    A statutory demand is a request for the payment of outstanding debt.

    If you have an undisputed amount due to you or to your business (e.g. an unpaid invoice) then you can file a form called statutory demand requesting a debtor to settle the debt.

    A statutory demand is a kind of a warning from you to a debtor that the failure to repay the debt might result in the start of a procedure in the courts to make the debtor bankrupt. This form is often used as a legal tool to apply pressure on the debtor to ensure that they repay their debt.

    Leave to remain under the parental route 01.04.2021

    Two successful applications for leave to remain under the parental route. Our clients both parents of children in the UK had no status in the UK when they approached Sterling Law.