Tier 2 General Skilled Visa

If you want to come to the United Kingdom to work in a skilled role for a sponsoring business, you will need a Skilled Worker Visa.

Skilled worker visa replaced Tier 2 (General) work visa. The eligibility criteria have also been relaxed. The minimum salary requirement was lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. However, the applicants must still score a minimum of 70 points in total to apply for Skilled worker visa.

Eligibility Criteria. 

An applicant must meet the following mandatory criteria to score 50 points:

  • be offered a job from an approved sponsor accompanied by a Certificate of Sponsorship (20 points)

  • the job must be at an appropriate skill level. This includes RQF Level 3 and above.  (20 points)

  • know the English language at Level B1 or higher. 

The applicant must score a further 20 ‘tradeable’ points. To do so, the applicant must:

  • get paid at least £25,600 per year or £10.10 per hour, whichever is higher. However, if the ‘going rate’ (average salary on the market) for a job is higher, the applicant needs to be paid at least the going rate.

  • have a job offer in a specific shortage occupation, have a PhD relevant to the job or a PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job 

The tradable points system means that all applicants can trade characteristics such as their qualifications, against a lower salary to get the required number of points.


Skilled Worker visa holders may work in an eligible job, study part time, and bring dependents.

If an applicant wishes to change an employer, they must apply for a new visa sponsored by the new company.

Does the Skilled Worker visa route lead to settlement in the UK?

Yes, after 5 years, holders of this visa may be able to apply to settle permanently in the UK. This will allow them to live, work and study without immigration restrictions.

How To Apply for a Skilled Worker visa and fees

Applications must be made online. The application fee (ranging from £610 to £1,408) and the healthcare surcharge (£624 per year) must be paid. Applicants must also have at least £1,270 available on their bank account to prove they can support themselves in the UK (also called maintenance requirement).

How long does it take to apply for a Skilled Worker visa?

The decision is usually made within 3 weeks if you are outside the UK and 8 weeks if you are inside the UK.

Please kindly note, we can only assist you with a Skilled Worker visa application if you already have a job offer in the UK. If your prospective employer is offering you a job, however, the company doesn’t yet have a Sponsor Licence, we can schedule a free call with your potential employer to discuss their Sponsor Licence applicaiton.

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to help you find a job in the UK.

Why Sterling Law

We value your time. After the consultation, we will let you know what the next steps are. We will request the documents we need, and only call you when necessary. We are proactive, will update you on your case as soon as we have any news so that you don’t need to call, meaning you can rest assured that no actions are needed from your side.

We haven’t forgotten about you, but we believe you’d rather spend time doing something that really matters than on the phone with a lawyer.

Talent and Work Visas Talent and Work Visas

Every year, about 190,000 work-related visas are granted to foreign specialists from around the world. This number undoubtedly demonstrates how dynamic and promising the UK labour market is. If you want to come to the UK to work and meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the following visas

More information
Individual Immigration Individual Immigration

We have broad experience working with private clients, advising and representing their rights in legal institutions on various matters, such as: relocating to the UK, family member’s relocation, skilled immigration, obtaining permanent residence, or British citizenship.

More information
Global Talent Visa Global Talent Visa

Global Talent visa (which replaced the Exceptional Talent category) allows you to come to the UK and contribute to the economy by either starting up your own project or by working at an existing company.

More information
Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

This route is for established workers of multinational companies who are being transferred by their overseas company to do a skilled role for a linked entity in the UK.

More information
Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) is a great opportunity for young people from designated countries or territories who wish to live in the UK for up to 2 years. The eligibility requirements are based on nationality, age, and financial capabilities.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    Kuldeep S. Clair, our senior Consultant Solicitor in Dispute Resolution and Employment Law offers his views on this important topic:  This question is understandably a common initial concern for...
    Successful cases
    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Statutory demand 17.05.2021

    A statutory demand is a request for the payment of outstanding debt.

    If you have an undisputed amount due to you or to your business (e.g. an unpaid invoice) then you can file a form called statutory demand requesting a debtor to settle the debt.

    A statutory demand is a kind of a warning from you to a debtor that the failure to repay the debt might result in the start of a procedure in the courts to make the debtor bankrupt. This form is often used as a legal tool to apply pressure on the debtor to ensure that they repay their debt.

    EPC contracts 28.06.2021

    We have reviewed the EPC contract and provided a legal opinion on force majeure clauses (re Covid-19) and its implications.
    Engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning (EPC) contracts are the most common form of contract used to undertake construction works by the private sector on large-scale and complex infrastructure projects. Under an EPC contract, a contractor is obliged to deliver a complete facility to a developer who needs only turn a key to start operating the facility, hence EPCC contracts are sometimes called turnkey construction contracts.

    Asylum appeal of a nepalese national and her spouse 22.06.2021

    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be allowed to remain in the UK under the protection of Refugee law.

    The appellant fell in love and married in the UK against the wishes of her family in Nepal, causing her to fear severe consequences upon return, including honour violence and persecution on the basis that she is a woman who married outside her caste and nationality.

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided: