Contact us

Book consultation

Visit our office

Book consultation

Contact our team to find out if we can help.

Book a free call to discuss your matter with us. Please leave your details and we will call you. We would also ask you to briefly describe your matter in the notes section, for the assessment before the call.

Please kindly note, we'll try to call you within the one hour slot you book, however, sometimes we'll have to reschedule the call. You call will last 15 minutes.

Please answer mandatory questions below.

    Contact Us

    Corporate services

    Individual services


    Our senior litigation solicitor, Kuldeep S. Clair, reviews how he may be able to help you if you are involved in a dispute over property which you have either rented or are renting out.

    I can help in disputes whether you are the landlord (L) or the tenant (T). In practice, we deal with disputes over residential property, and the majority of those properties are let on ‘assured short-hold tenancies’. However, we deal with other rental situations, and commercial tenancies as well.

    Assured shortholds are designed to cover tenancies of households which are used by the tenant as a main home. Such a tenancy usually begins for a fixed term of at least six months, and then it can theoretically be renewed for a further fixed term. But it can also just carry on, usually on a monthly basis.

    The important points which distinguish assured shorthold tenancies are that:

    – The L can take possession without giving a valid reason once the original term has expired.

    – The L must still give a minimum period of notice to do that, and cannot forcibly remove the T without do so through licensed bailiffs, and obtaining a court order first.

    – An initial deposit is taken by the L, which is must be held under an authorised independent scheme and repaid to the T at the end of the tenancy.


    I can help whether you are a landlord or tenant, if you have a dispute over, e.g.

    • unpaid rent or longstanding arrears of rent
    • alleged damage to the property,
    • use of property for unlawful purposes, causing annoyance to neighbours
    • harassment / intimidation/bullying to the residents
    • unlawful eviction, or wanting legitimate re-possession. Do you have or need grounds to re-possess, if you are the L?
    • any other breach of the agreement by either side – what are your rights and obligations, and how can they be enforced?


    If you would like advice, please contact me directly for a quick chat:

    Kuldeep S. Clair,

    Consultant Solicitor

    Sterling Lawyers Ltd


    07484 614090

    See all