Retained Right of Residence Visas

The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 allows certain family members of EU, EEA or Swiss nationals who are already living in the UK to retain their right of residence in certain circumstances. This includes, but not limited to, where the EU, EEA or Swiss sponsor dies, leaves the UK or gets divorced with their partner or spouse. This is called a ‘retained right of residence.

Retained rights of residence: eligibility Criteria. 

The applicant can apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit if they previously had a right to reside in the UK as either:

  • as the family member of an EU, EAA, Swiss citizen 

  • from living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland with a British citizen. 

A family member may have a retained right of residence in the following circumstances:

  • Their EU, EEA or Swiss family members died 

  • they had a child with EU, EEA or Swiss sponsor, who died or left the UK, and the child is in education in the UK

  • They are the child of EU, EEA or Swiss sponsors who died or left the UK, and they are in education in the UK

  • The EU, EEA or Swiss sponsor divorced them or a member of their family 

  • the relationship has broken down because of domestic abuse or violence 

Additional requirement for non-EEA nationals to apply for retained rights of residence:

Under regulations 10(6), the non-EEA national must be either a worker, self-employed person or self-sufficient person. Non-EEA students and job seekers do not qualify for a retained right of residence.

Necessary documents to apply for retained rights of residence: 

The applicant must provide the family member’s valid, passport, evidence of their relationship (for example a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or birth certificate).

Retained rights of residence: Conditions of Stay. 

The EUSS family permit allows its holders to come and go from the UK as many times as they want. They can also work and study in the UK without immigration restrictions. The EEA family permit can be used only until 30 June 2021, even if the expiry date on it is later.

How to Apply a Retained Right of Residence, Fees and Processing Time.

The application is submitted online. It is free to apply. The decision is made within 15-30 working days.

Why Sterling Law

We are a modern and innovative boutique law firm with a flexible «can-do» approach. Our cross-domain specialisation allows for seamless solutions whether you are a business or an individual, allowing us to solve most complex problems, where several areas of law are involved.

EUSS Family Permit EUSS Family Permit

The European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) family permit allows an eligible non-EEA citizen to join or accompany an EEA or Swiss national with pre-settled or settled status in the UK.

More information
Pre-Settled and Settled Status Pre-Settled and Settled Status

If EU, EEA and Swiss citizens apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, they will be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021. They will be given either settled or pre-settled status.

More information
Secretary of State Bail Secretary of State Bail

Bail is the temporary release of an accused person awaiting trial, sometimes on the condition that a sum of money is lodged to guarantee their appearance in court.

This article can be helpful for those who intend to apply for the Secretary of State Bail.

More information
Humanitarian Protection Humanitarian Protection

Human Rights and Immigration Law

The very strong idea that fundamental human rights must be cherished, and that only the law may take it away, is one that has been prevalent in British courts for centuries.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be all...
    The Home office will not take enforcement action against sponsors who continue to sponsor students or employees despite absences due to coronavirus. You do not need to report student or employee...
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    Our client was employed as a bus driver and had 18 years of continuous employment. He had a clean record with no warnings or incidents.  While driving in the rain, he had been involved in one un...
    STERLING LAW 29.09.2020
    Recently there was a decision in the Court of Justice of the European Union in Case C-311/18 – Data Protection Commissioner v Facebook Ireland Ltd and Maximillian Schrems. The CJEU has confirmed...
    Successful cases
    Asylum appeal of a nepalese national and her spouse 22.06.2021

    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be allowed to remain in the UK under the protection of Refugee law.

    The appellant fell in love and married in the UK against the wishes of her family in Nepal, causing her to fear severe consequences upon return, including honour violence and persecution on the basis that she is a woman who married outside her caste and nationality.

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    Elderly mother permitted to stay in the UK with her british adult son and her grandchildren 21.04.2021

    Excellent news; adult dependent relative appeal allowed by the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)!

    Our client, an Indian national, came to the UK with her husband lawfully to visit their son and grandchildren, who are British nationals. Sadly, her husband passed away suddenly while they were in the UK. Our client had a history of dementia with Parkinson’s disease along with anxiety and depression, which made her return to India unachievable.

    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.