Spouse/Partner Visa


Free eligibility check - Spouse visa


A Spouse visa allows you to enter or remain in the UK as a partner. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements.

Your partner must be:

  • a British citizen
  • settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

To apply successfully you must also prove one of the following:

  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage
  • You’ve been living together for at least 2 years
  • You are a fiancé/fiancée and will marry in the UK within 6 months of entering the country


Documents you will need to provide include but are not limited to:

  •  Proofs of identity
  • Proofs of address
  • Proof of relationship
  • Additional documentation confirming the sponsor meets the criteria
  • Proof of English knowledge
  • Financial evidence


A Spouse visa is initially granted for 2.5 years. After this period you will need to extend you visa if you wish to remain in the UK.

You normally can apply for settlement in 5 years.

If you require more info regarding this immigration category, please click here.

Application cost (payable to Home Office) is:

Entry clearance (if you apply from outside the UK): £1523

Extension – FLR M (if you apply from inside the UK): £1033

If you want to bring your children as dependants, the cost for their application from outside the UK is £1523. The cost of an extension from inside the UK is £1033.

Other fees:

Immigration health surcharge: £400 per year. If you apply for a 2.5 year visa the fee would be £1200 if you apply from outside the UK and £1000 if you apply from inside the UK.

If you want a faster decision on your application and are applying from outside the UK, you can opt for priority service – £573 (your application should be processed at the front of the queue;

If you are applying from inside the UK, you will have an option to have your decision within one working day for £800.

Premium service might not be suitable if you had refusals in the past or otherwise have a peculiar immigration history.

Please kindly note that your application processing times as well as the outcome of your application are beyond our control.


Why Sterling Law

We are a modern and innovative boutique law firm with a flexible «can-do» approach. Our cross-domain specialisation allows for seamless solutions whether you are a business or an individual, allowing us to solve most complex problems, where several areas of law are involved.

Spouse Visa Extension Spouse Visa Extension

If you are a UK spouse visa holder and your period of leave is due to expire, you will need to apply for a spouse visa extension to remain in the country with your partner.

Spouse visa extension: Eligibility Criteria. 

Relationship requirement for spouse visa extension

The applicant will need to prove that they are in a genuine and subsisting relationship with their spouse who is either:

More information
Unmarried Partner Visa Unmarried Partner Visa

Unmarried Partner Visa allows unmarried partners to work and stay in the UK. Since 2014, same-sex couples also have been permitted to marry. According to the Immigration Rules and the EEA regulations, the term unmarried partner relationship is be defined as: “Two persons living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years”.

More information
Fiance Visa Fiance Visa

The Fiance Visa is designed to enable individuals to enter the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their UK-based partner. The applicant and their partner both need to be 18 or over.

More information
Dependant Visa Dependant Visa

One of the strongest misconceptions related to immigration is to assume that only direct family members can apply for a family visa to the United Kingdom. Direct family members usually imply fiancé, spouse, child, parent.

More information
UK Ancestry Visa UK Ancestry Visa

If you have family connections to the United Kingdom, you may be eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry visa. Applicants are still eligible even if they or their parents were adopted and their parents and grandparents were not married.

More information
Partner and Family Visas Partner and Family Visas

If you want to come to the UK to join your family, you may be able to apply under one of the following routes:

EU citizens and family members:

If you or your close family member started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline is 30 June 2021.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    UK police registration for visa holders 19.05.2021
    Conditions can be attached to a person’s permission to enter or stay, and this includes a condition requiring a person to register with the police when in the UK. In this post, we look at the polic...
    The Home office will not take enforcement action against sponsors who continue to sponsor students or employees despite absences due to coronavirus. You do not need to report student or employee...
    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be all...
    Read more
    Successful cases
    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided:

    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.