British Citizenship

British residence (ILR)

In order to qualify for Permanent residence there is a set of requirements, such as continuous residence in the UK, good knowledge of English language, no criminal convictions and many more. Our expert team is offering their assistance to guide you every step of the way to a positive result in obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain.

If you are a foreign national and you are granted an Indefinite Leave to Remain (also commonly known as ‘Permanent Residence’), you will have permission to live and work in the UK without restrictions. There are certain visa categories that can lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain, as follows:

There is no statute of limitations to Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, however, it is important to note that you should not spend more than two years outside the UK as this may lead to the loss of ILR.

There are a number of circumstances that may cause a person to lose Indefinite Leave to Remain status. Indefinite Leave to Remain may also be revoked if an offence was committed, which will lead to deportation from the UK.

An individual may be eligible to apply for British Citizenship 1 year after being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain. Benefits from acquiring British citizenship are obvious, but let’s discuss them in details.

a.     British citizenship

Sterling Law is highly experienced in providing advice and assistance on acquiring British citizenships. When a person completed 5 years residence in the UK and have held ILR for the last 1 year, he/she can apply for British citizenship. Although this process includes a complex number of actions (determine eligibility, gather supportive documents, complete an application), we aim to make sure this is an easy process for our Clients. It is important to check that applicants for British citizenship do not have criminal convictions.

Sterling Law will ensure that British citizenship application process is not only trouble free for the applicants, but also suitable cost-wise. Having many years of practice in providing immigration services to different nationals, we have a wide experience in communication with the Home Office, UKBA and other governmental institutions, keeping our Clients informed and fully protected during the case.

We understand that applying for British citizenship yourself may seem like the easiest route. However, as experts in the field, we know that the British citizenship application process can be often confusing one which requires the submission of detailed paperwork.

Sterling Law offers legal expertise, time and commitment to this application process, making sure everything is completed correctly and efficiently. Our aim is a satisfied client. We offer a reasonable and comfortable paying-fee basis for all of our services. Should you have any inquiries do not hesitate to contact Sterling Law for professional legal immigration advice at:

Why Sterling Law

Our team of dedicated lawyers has vast experience of working with start-ups, small and medium-sized companies.

We will ensure your business operation are fully compliant, saving you time and money so that you can concentrate on your company growth, and we’ll take care of the rest. Let us know how we can help you by choosing one of the services below. Not sure what you need? Not to worry, ask your questions by filling in the form below, and we’ll get back to you with the answers.

British Citizenship by Naturalisation British Citizenship by Naturalisation

Becoming a British citizen is a significant life event.

The Home Office regards naturalisation as not an entitlement but rather a privilege. The decision to grant citizenship is subject to the applicant satisfying legal requirements.

More information
British Citizenship for Stateless Child British Citizenship for Stateless Child

The International legal definition of a stateless person is a “person who is not considered as a national by any State under the operation of its law”. Today, at least 10 million people around the world are denied nationality. Some of them are deprived of basic healthcare, benefits and protection.

More information
British Citizenship by Marriage British Citizenship by Marriage

You may be able to live in the UK permanently or temporarily if one of the following applies to you:

If your spouse/partner or partner is British

If your spouse/partner is EEA national

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    We are accustomed to recovering money or defending claims for monetary sums on behalf of our clients. Unfortunately, the fact that it is not possible to recover hardly any legal costs in cases in ‘...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    Kuldeep S. Clair, our senior Consultant Solicitor in Dispute Resolution and Employment Law offers his views on this important topic:  This question is understandably a common initial concern for...
    Our client was employed as a bus driver and had 18 years of continuous employment. He had a clean record with no warnings or incidents.  While driving in the rain, he had been involved in one un...
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided:

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Asylum appeal of a nepalese national and her spouse 22.06.2021

    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be allowed to remain in the UK under the protection of Refugee law.

    The appellant fell in love and married in the UK against the wishes of her family in Nepal, causing her to fear severe consequences upon return, including honour violence and persecution on the basis that she is a woman who married outside her caste and nationality.

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.