Student and Graduate Visas

Student migration constitutes a significant share of immigration to the UK. The number of international students relocating to the UK increased over the decade of the 1990s and 2000s, with a particularly sharp increase in 2009. Student visas issuing decreased from 2010 to 2016. This was the reason for policy changes that tightened the eligibility criteria for educational institutions seeking to sponsor students to come to the UK.

International students from outside the UK must apply for a student visa. If the study presumes a short course, the student may be eligible for the short-term study visa. This is valid up to six months for most short courses and can be extended for a stay of up to 11 months, for example, for English language courses. If the study means a longer course, a student will need to make sure that the institution he/she has chosen holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License.

Please note, EU students now also have to apply for a student visa to come to the UK to study.

Depending on the duration and nature of your course, there are different immigration categories you can consider:

Student visa (replaced Tier 4 General Student)

Child student visa (replaced Tier 4 Child student)

Short term student visa

International students who have completed an eligible course of studies in the UK may be eligibile to remain in the UK under the new Graduate route.

Under the Graduate route students will be able to work or look for work in the UK for 2 years after completing their studies (3 years for Doctoral students).

Students who have completed an undergraduate degree or above in the UK are eligible for the new Graduate route.

Applicants will not require a job offer to apply for the graduate route. There will be no minimum salary requirements, no quotas on numbers. Applicants can work flexibly and switch employers.

Why Sterling Law

We value your time. After the consultation, we will let you know what the next steps are. We will request the documents we need, and only call you when necessary. We are proactive, will update you on your case as soon as we have any news so that you don’t need to call, meaning you can rest assured that no actions are needed from your side.

We haven’t forgotten about you, but we believe you’d rather spend time doing something that really matters than on the phone with a lawyer.

Individual Immigration Individual Immigration

We have broad experience working with private clients, advising and representing their rights in legal institutions on various matters, such as: relocating to the UK, family member’s relocation, skilled immigration, obtaining permanent residence, or British citizenship.

More information
Talent and Work Visas Talent and Work Visas

Every year, about 190,000 work-related visas are granted to foreign specialists from around the world. This number undoubtedly demonstrates how dynamic and promising the UK labour market is. If you want to come to the UK to work and meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the following visas

More information
UK Study Visa UK Study Visa

Key requirements:

You must have an offer to study from a licensed sponsor (a school or university)

To prove this, you sponsor will provide you with a reference number called CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)

More information
Short Term Study Visa Short Term Study Visa

Individuals who want to study a short course in the United Kingdom can apply for a Short-term study visa. From 1 December 2020, this route is only for students who intend to study between 6 and 11 months. For courses up to 6 months, individuals can instead apply for a ‘Standard visitor’ visa.

More information
Extending Student Visa UK Extending Student Visa UK

International students may need to extend their student visa in order to complete their program. This may be because they have made a change to their course, need to repeat a year, or wish to defer some of their assessment. Applications can be made from both within and outside the UK.

More information
Tier 5 visa Internship Tier 5 visa Internship

Tier 5 visa is a temporary visa allowing applicants to enter the UK for a period of 6-24 months usually for the purpose of work, internship, or work experience.

More information
Graduate Post Study Visa Graduate Post Study Visa

In September 2019, the UK Government announced the introduction of the graduate route to international students from 1 July 2021. This includes students who have already started their course, even if due to Covid-19, they have needed to undertake online learning.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    We are accustomed to recovering money or defending claims for monetary sums on behalf of our clients. Unfortunately, the fact that it is not possible to recover hardly any legal costs in cases in ‘...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    STERLING LAW 29.09.2020
    Recently there was a decision in the Court of Justice of the European Union in Case C-311/18 – Data Protection Commissioner v Facebook Ireland Ltd and Maximillian Schrems. The CJEU has confirmed...
    Successful cases
    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided:

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.

    EPC contracts 28.06.2021

    We have reviewed the EPC contract and provided a legal opinion on force majeure clauses (re Covid-19) and its implications.
    Engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning (EPC) contracts are the most common form of contract used to undertake construction works by the private sector on large-scale and complex infrastructure projects. Under an EPC contract, a contractor is obliged to deliver a complete facility to a developer who needs only turn a key to start operating the facility, hence EPCC contracts are sometimes called turnkey construction contracts.

    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.