Marriage Visitor Visa

The Marriage Visitor visa is designed for individuals who wish to visit the UK to marry or register a civil partnership or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK.

Eligibility Criteria for the Marriage Visitor visa.

An applicant must:

  • be 18 or over 

  • give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of their arrival 

  • be in a genuine relationship

  • leave the UK at the end of their visit 

  • not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits 

  • support themselves and pay for their return or onward journey 

What does “genuine relationship” mean?

To avoid a refusal, the applicant must submit adequate and sufficient information, proving that the relationship is genuine. The Home Office’s Guidance suggests that cohabitation, shared financial responsibilities (tenancy agreements, a joint bank account and utility bill on both their names) and plans for the future are good evidence.

What is the difference between the Marriage Visitor visa and the Fiance visa?

The Marriage Visitor is designed for those who do not intend to settle in the UK after being married or registering a civil partnership. If the applicant plans to remain in the UK with their spouse or partner, then they should apply for a fiance visa instead.

Which documents should the applicant provide? 

The applicant must provide a passport or travel document. Their passport must be valid for the whole duration of their stay in the UK. The applicant can support their application with details of the marriage and proof that they have paid for some of its costs. The applicant can also demonstrate a booking confirmation or emails between them and the wedding venue.

If the applicant has been married before, they must prove that they are free to marry or enter a civil partnership. The documents such as a divorce certificate or death certificate of a previous partner are sufficient.

Conditions of Stay on the Marriage Visitor Visa. 

This visa is valid for 6 months, and during this period the applicant should marry or enter into a civil partnership. While in the UK, the applicant cannot:

  • get public funds (benefits)

  • bring dependents 

  • extend or switch their visa

  • study 

  • work – except for permitted activities related to their work, such as attending meetings. 

How to Apply for the Marriage Visitor Visa and Fees. 

The application is submitted online. The earliest the applicant can apply is 3 months before their travel. It costs £95 to apply. The decision is usually made within 3 weeks.

Why Sterling Law

Our team of dedicated lawyers has vast experience of working with start-ups, small and medium-sized companies.

We will ensure your business operation are fully compliant, saving you time and money so that you can concentrate on your company growth, and we’ll take care of the rest. Let us know how we can help you by choosing one of the services below. Not sure what you need? Not to worry, ask your questions by filling in the form below, and we’ll get back to you with the answers.

UK Visitor Visa UK Visitor Visa

The UK Standard Visitor visa allows individuals to come to the UK to engage in a wide range of permitted activities. Visitor visa is granted for a period of 6 months to 10 years.

More information
Humanitarian Protection Humanitarian Protection

Human Rights and Immigration Law

The very strong idea that fundamental human rights must be cherished, and that only the law may take it away, is one that has been prevalent in British courts for centuries.

More information
EU Nationals and Family EU Nationals and Family

In 2016 the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union in a historic referendum. This led not only to significant political and economic changes but also challenged the well-established EU-UK freedom of movement.

More information
British Citizenship British Citizenship

In order to qualify for Permanent residence there is a set of requirements, such as continuous residence in the UK, good knowledge of English language, no criminal convictions and many more. Our expert team is offering their assistance to guide you every step of the way to a positive result in obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be all...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    UK police registration for visa holders 19.05.2021
    Conditions can be attached to a person’s permission to enter or stay, and this includes a condition requiring a person to register with the police when in the UK. In this post, we look at the polic...
    We are accustomed to recovering money or defending claims for monetary sums on behalf of our clients. Unfortunately, the fact that it is not possible to recover hardly any legal costs in cases in ‘...
    The Home office will not take enforcement action against sponsors who continue to sponsor students or employees despite absences due to coronavirus. You do not need to report student or employee...
    Read more
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    UK police registration for visa holders 19.05.2021

    Conditions can be attached to a person’s permission to enter or stay, and this includes a condition requiring a person to register with the police when in the UK. In this post, we look at the police registration requirement, how to register with the police, where to register with the police, and the potential consequences of failing to register with the police.

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Elderly mother permitted to stay in the UK with her british adult son and her grandchildren 21.04.2021

    Excellent news; adult dependent relative appeal allowed by the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)!

    Our client, an Indian national, came to the UK with her husband lawfully to visit their son and grandchildren, who are British nationals. Sadly, her husband passed away suddenly while they were in the UK. Our client had a history of dementia with Parkinson’s disease along with anxiety and depression, which made her return to India unachievable.