Child Dependant Visa

UK citizens and those who are settled in the UK may be eligible to bring their children to the UK to live with them.

Eligibility Criteria for dependent child visa

The requirements for candidates vary on the basis of their age and place of birth. Usually at least one of the parents has to be settled in the UK in order for the child to apply for a dependent visa.

For children born in the UK.

The child will get the same permission to stay as their parent.

The child under 18 can either: 

  • be added to their parent’s next application as a dependent.

  • apply separately.

If the child is over 18, their parent can only include them in their application as a dependent only if the child:

  • got permission to enter and remain in the UK for an appointed period of time on a family visa when they were under 18.

  • do not live an independent life. If the child has left home, got married, or had children, they are considered to live an independent life.

  • is applying from inside the UK

For children born outside of the UK.

If the child is under 18, they must

  • not be married, in a civil partnership, or living an independent life.

  • be supported by their parents, who don’t receive public funds

One of their parents must also be applying or have applied for a visa or to extend their permission to stay as a partner or parent.

If the child is over 18, their parent can include them in their application as a dependent. The child can also apply separately.

In both cases, they can apply only if they:

  • got permission to enter and remain in the UK for an appointed period of time on a family visa when they were under 18.

  • don’t live an independent life

Financial requirements for dependent children: 

This requirement must be fulfilled by the parent who is living in the UK. The child’s parent must have an income of at least  £18,600 per year.

Conditions of Stay for dependent children.

Successful applicants will receive a biometric residence permit which will be valid for 2,5 years. They will be able to study and work while they are in the UK.

How to Apply for a dependent child visa and how much it costs. 

The application must be made online. It costs £1,464 to apply from outside of the UK and £993 to apply in the UK excluding premium services appointment fees. The healthcare surcharge fee (£624 per year) and biometric information fee (£19.20) must be paid separately.

The decision is normally made within 12 weeks if you are outside the UK and 8 weeks if you are inside the UK.

Why Sterling Law

We are a modern and innovative boutique law firm with a flexible «can-do» approach. Our cross-domain specialisation allows for seamless solutions whether you are a business or an individual, allowing us to solve most complex problems, where several areas of law are involved.

Dependant Visa Dependant Visa

One of the strongest misconceptions related to immigration is to assume that only direct family members can apply for a family visa to the United Kingdom. Direct family members usually imply fiancé, spouse, child, parent.

More information
Dependent Parent Visa Dependent Parent Visa

Your parents may be able to apply for a dependant visa to live with you in the UK. They would be applying under the Adult dependent relative category. The purpose of the Adult Dependent Relative (ADR) Visa is to allow an individual with ongoing care needs to live with a relative who is living permanently in the UK

More information
Elderly Dependent Visa Elderly Dependent Visa

One of the strongest misconception related to immigration is to assume that only direct family members can apply for Family visa to the United Kingdom. Direct family members usually imply fiancé, spouse, child, parent. However, according to the UK Immigration regulations, a person can apply for Family visa if he is ‘an adult person coming to the UK to be cared for by a relative’.

More information
Fiance Visa Fiance Visa

The Fiance Visa is designed to enable individuals to enter the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their UK-based partner. The applicant and their partner both need to be 18 or over.

More information
Spouse/Partner Visa Spouse/Partner Visa

A Spouse visa allows you to enter or remain in the UK as a partner. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements. A Spouse visa is initially granted for 2.5 years. After this period you will need to extend you visa if you wish to remain in the UK.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be all...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    The Home office will not take enforcement action against sponsors who continue to sponsor students or employees despite absences due to coronavirus. You do not need to report student or employee...
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    Read more
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted. 

    Refusal on suitability grounds 26.05.2021

    Sterling Law successfully appealed refusal on Suitability grounds.
    The client came to the UK on a visit visa, overstayed and became pregnant. The baby tragically died. She afterwards entered a relationship with a settled person and applied for leave on that basis. The application was refused and we successfully appealed to the First-Tier Tribunal.

    Leave to remain under the parental route 01.04.2021

    Two successful applications for leave to remain under the parental route. Our clients both parents of children in the UK had no status in the UK when they approached Sterling Law.

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.