Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

Tier 2 Intra-company Transfer Route.

This route is for established workers of multinational companies who are being transferred by their overseas company to do a skilled role for a linked entity in the UK.

Types of Intra-company visas. 

Intra-company Transfer visa.

For applicants who are being transferred by their employer to perform a role in the UK.

Applicants will need to have worked for their employer overseas for more than 12 months unless the employer will pay £73,900 a year or more to work in the UK.

Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa.

For employees taking part in a structured graduate training program who are being transferred to perform a role in the UK.

This visa has replaced the Tier 2 Graduate Trainee visa.

Eligibility requirements for an Intra-company transfer (ICT) visa. 

Workers who wish to come to the UK in the Intra-company routes must score 60 points for the following criteria:

  • Sponsorship (20 points)

  • Job at an appropriate level.  (20 points)

  • Salary at a required level. (20 points)

In addition:

The applicant must be paid at least £41,500 for an Intra-company Transfer visa or at least £23,000 for an Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa. 

The applicant must be an existing employee of an organisation that has been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor. The applicant should also have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from the employer with information about their job

The applicant must do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations 

Importantly, If the applicant is applying from outside the UK, or has been in the UK for less than a year, they must show they have enough funds to support themselves and any dependents in the UK (also called maintenance).

Length of Stay. 

Successful applicants  can stay in the UK with an Intra-company Transfer visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • the time granted by their certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days

  • 5 years

  • the length of time that takes them to the maximum total stay allowed

The maximum total stay allowed for an Intra-company Transfer visa is:

  • 5 years in any 6 year period if the applicant is paid less than £73,900 a year

  • 9 years in any 10 year period if the applicant is paid £73,900 a year or more

Restrictions of Intra-company transfer (ICT) visa:

Holders of Intra-company transfer (ICT) visa can work for their sponsor in the job described in the certificate of sponsorship, study part-time, bring family members, do a second job up to 20 hours a week, and travel abroad. However, they cannot apply for most benefits, change jobs without updating their visa.

Does this route lead to the settlement?

No, this route does not lead to settlement in the UK. Applicants can consider applying for the Skilled Worker route, which leads to settlement after 5 years.

Intra-company transfer (ICT) visa fees:

The application must be made online. The application fees range from £482 to £1,408 depending on the type of visa and where the applicant is applying from. A Healthcare surcharge of £624 per year must be paid. Applicants must also have at least £1,270 available on their bank account to support themselves in the UK (also called maintenance).

How long does it take to apply for Intra-company transfer (ICT) visa:

The decision is made within 3 weeks if you are outside the UK and 8 weeks if you are inside the UK.

Why Sterling Law

We value your time. After the consultation, we will let you know what the next steps are. We will request the documents we need, and only call you when necessary. We are proactive, will update you on your case as soon as we have any news so that you don’t need to call, meaning you can rest assured that no actions are needed from your side.

We haven’t forgotten about you, but we believe you’d rather spend time doing something that really matters than on the phone with a lawyer.

Talent and Work Visas Talent and Work Visas

Every year, about 190,000 work-related visas are granted to foreign specialists from around the world. This number undoubtedly demonstrates how dynamic and promising the UK labour market is. If you want to come to the UK to work and meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the following visas

More information
Individual Immigration Individual Immigration

We have broad experience working with private clients, advising and representing their rights in legal institutions on various matters, such as: relocating to the UK, family member’s relocation, skilled immigration, obtaining permanent residence, or British citizenship.

More information
Global Talent Visa Global Talent Visa

Global Talent visa (which replaced the Exceptional Talent category) allows you to come to the UK and contribute to the economy by either starting up your own project or by working at an existing company.

More information
Tier 2 General Skilled Visa Tier 2 General Skilled Visa

If you want to come to the United Kingdom to work in a skilled role for a sponsoring business, you will need a Skilled Worker Visa. Skilled worker visa replaced Tier 2 (General) work visa. The eligibility criteria have also been relaxed. The minimum salary requirement was lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. However, the applicants must still score a minimum of 70 points in total to apply for Skilled worker visa.

More information
Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) is a great opportunity for young people from designated countries or territories who wish to live in the UK for up to 2 years. The eligibility requirements are based on nationality, age, and financial capabilities.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    Kuldeep S. Clair, our senior Consultant Solicitor in Dispute Resolution and Employment Law offers his views on this important topic:  This question is understandably a common initial concern for...
    It is paramount that any company planning to sponsor a migrant worker (which will include EEA nationals) should be aware of the need to respond to any request for further information from the Home ...
    Our client was employed as a bus driver and had 18 years of continuous employment. He had a clean record with no warnings or incidents.  While driving in the rain, he had been involved in one un...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    Refusal on suitability grounds 26.05.2021

    Sterling Law successfully appealed refusal on Suitability grounds.
    The client came to the UK on a visit visa, overstayed and became pregnant. The baby tragically died. She afterwards entered a relationship with a settled person and applied for leave on that basis. The application was refused and we successfully appealed to the First-Tier Tribunal.

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted.