Partner and Family Visas

If you want to come to the UK to join your family, you may be able to apply under one of the following routes:

EU citizens and family members:

If you or your close family member started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline is 30 June 2021.

Ancestry visa

For Commonwealth citizens applying outside the UK. Among other requirements, you should prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK and you are planning to work in the UK.

Adult dependent relative

Adult dependent relative (ADR) visa allows a foreign national to enter the UK if they rely on support from an individual settled in the United Kingdom.

Fiancée visa

This immigration category allows you to enter the UK if you are subject to immigration control and you are the fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person who is settled here. You must intend to get married or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival in the UK, and settle here together afterward.

Spouse visa

If you are the partner of a British citizen or a person who is settled here. A partner includes husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner. There is a 5-year route and a 10-year route. The 5-year route is for those who meet all of the suitability and eligibility requirements of the Immigration Rules at every stage. The 10-year route is for those who do not meet certain eligibility requirements.

Unmarried Partners

You can come to or remain in the UK if you are the unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person settled here. If you are subject to immigration control and you are the unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or person who is settled here. The relationship may be a heterosexual or same-sex relationship, but you must not be related by blood.

Parent visa:

You can apply to live in the UK as a parent of a child who is a British national or is settled in the UK.

You can also apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa if your child is studying in the UK on a child student visa, and is aged between 4 and 11.

Only one parent can accompany the child in the UK.

If none of the above applies to you, contact us using the form below, and we’ll try to find a solution for you.

Why Sterling Law

Our team of dedicated lawyers has vast experience of working with start-ups, small and medium-sized companies.

We will ensure your business operation are fully compliant, saving you time and money so that you can concentrate on your company growth, and we’ll take care of the rest. Let us know how we can help you by choosing one of the services below. Not sure what you need? Not to worry, ask your questions by filling in the form below, and we’ll get back to you with the answers.

Individual Immigration Individual Immigration

We have broad experience working with private clients, advising and representing their rights in legal institutions on various matters, such as: relocating to the UK, family member’s relocation, skilled immigration, obtaining permanent residence, or British citizenship.

More information
Talent and Work Visas Talent and Work Visas

Every year, about 190,000 work-related visas are granted to foreign specialists from around the world. This number undoubtedly demonstrates how dynamic and promising the UK labour market is. If you want to come to the UK to work and meet eligibility requirements, you can apply to the following visas

More information
Student and Graduate Visas Student and Graduate Visas

Student migration constitutes a significant share of immigration to the UK. The number of international students relocating to the UK increased over the decade of the 1990s and 2000s, with a particularly sharp increase in 2009. Student visas issuing decreased from 2010 to 2016.

More information
Domestic Violence Visa Domestic Violence Visa

If you are in the UK and your immigration status depends on your partner, and you became a victim of domestic violence, you may be eligible to apply for permission to stay in the UK even if you or your partner decide to end your relationship.

More information
UK Ancestry Visa UK Ancestry Visa

If you have family connections to the United Kingdom, you may be eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry visa. Successful applicants can work, study and bring dependents to the UK. However, they cannot access public funds (benefits).

More information
Dependent Parent Visa Dependent Parent Visa

Your parents may be able to apply for a dependant visa to live with you in the UK. They would be applying under the Adult dependent relative category. The purpose of the Adult Dependent Relative (ADR) Visa is to allow an individual with ongoing care needs to live with a relative who is living permanently in the UK

Elderly Dependent Visa Elderly Dependent Visa

One of the strongest misconception related to immigration is to assume that only direct family members can apply for Family visa to the United Kingdom. Direct family members usually imply fiancé, spouse, child, parent. However, according to the UK Immigration regulations, a person can apply for Family visa if he is ‘an adult person coming to the UK to be cared for by a relative’.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    BRP card expiry 20.05.2021
    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the past few years, you will probably have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) with an expiry date of 31 December 2024.
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    STATUTORY DEMAND 17.05.2021
    If you have an undisputed amount due to you or to your business (e.g. an unpaid invoice) then you can file a form called statutory demand requesting a debtor to settle the debt. If you have an u...
    We are accustomed to recovering money or defending claims for monetary sums on behalf of our clients. Unfortunately, the fact that it is not possible to recover hardly any legal costs in cases in ‘...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    Read more
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Long residence applications: gaps in lawful residence 16.11.2020

    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
    This begs the question: what if I have a gap in my lawful residence?
    The Immigration Rules state as follows: 276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

    Refusal on suitability grounds 26.05.2021

    Sterling Law successfully appealed refusal on Suitability grounds.
    The client came to the UK on a visit visa, overstayed and became pregnant. The baby tragically died. She afterwards entered a relationship with a settled person and applied for leave on that basis. The application was refused and we successfully appealed to the First-Tier Tribunal.

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.

    Elderly mother permitted to stay in the UK with her british adult son and her grandchildren 21.04.2021

    Excellent news; adult dependent relative appeal allowed by the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)!

    Our client, an Indian national, came to the UK with her husband lawfully to visit their son and grandchildren, who are British nationals. Sadly, her husband passed away suddenly while they were in the UK. Our client had a history of dementia with Parkinson’s disease along with anxiety and depression, which made her return to India unachievable.