Short Stay Visas

If you would like to come to the United Kingdom for a short period of time and do not plan to settle here, you can apply for the following visa categories:

UK Standard Visitor Visa

As a Standard Visitor, individuals can visit the UK for tourism, business activities, a short course of study, medical reasons, or to take part in research or an exchange program as an academic. This visa is valid for a period of 6 months to 10 years, with a maximum stay of 6 months on each visit (academics and patients, undergoing private treatment, may stay in the UK for 11 and 12 months on each visit accordingly.)

UK Transit Visa

With the UK Transit Visa individuals can transit through the UK for up to 48 hours on their way to a different country.

Marriage Visitor 

This visa is designed for individuals who wish to visit the UK to marry or register a civil partnership or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership, in the UK. This visa is valid for 6 months.

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

With this visa, individuals can enter the UK for up to 1 month to take part in the paid engagement. The visa allows holders to be examiner, take part in selection panels. give lectures at university, provide advocacy, take part in entertainment and sports activities, and even assess UK-based pilots.

Child Visitor visa

This visa is for children under the age of 18 who wish to come to the UK for a short stay. They can undertake a short course of study for up to 30 days and access private medical treatment. Holders of this visa can stay in the UK for 6 months. They can also enter and leave the UK multiple times.

Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa

This visa allows parents to visit the UK for 6 up to 12 months to accompany their children on a Tier 4 Child visa.

Why Sterling Law

We are a modern and innovative boutique law firm with a flexible «can-do» approach. Our cross-domain specialisation allows for seamless solutions whether you are a business or an individual, allowing us to solve most complex problems, where several areas of law are involved.

UK Visitor Visa UK Visitor Visa

The UK Standard Visitor visa allows individuals to come to the UK to engage in a wide range of permitted activities. Visitor visa is granted for a period of 6 months to 10 years.

More information
Marriage Visitor Visa Marriage Visitor Visa

The Marriage Visitor visa is designed for individuals who wish to visit the UK to marry or register a civil partnership or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK.

More information
EU Nationals and Family EU Nationals and Family

In 2016 the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union in a historic referendum. This led not only to significant political and economic changes but also challenged the well-established EU-UK freedom of movement.

More information
British Citizenship British Citizenship

In order to qualify for Permanent residence there is a set of requirements, such as continuous residence in the UK, good knowledge of English language, no criminal convictions and many more. Our expert team is offering their assistance to guide you every step of the way to a positive result in obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain.

More information
Request consultation

    opening hours
    Our team
    Recent news
    Our immigration team has achieved a successful decision in the asylum appeal of a Nepalese national and her spouse. According to the Immigration & Asylum Upper Tribunal, they should both be all...
    UK police registration for visa holders 19.05.2021
    Conditions can be attached to a person’s permission to enter or stay, and this includes a condition requiring a person to register with the police when in the UK. In this post, we look at the polic...
    The Immigration Rules regarding long residence provide that Applicants who have resided in the UK continuously and lawfully for 10 years are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thi...
    STERLING LAW 15.01.2021
    What documents are now required by EU citizens to confirm their right to work in the UK?  The Home Office has confirmed that employers at present have no right to demand that EU citizens apply unde...
    The Home office will not take enforcement action against sponsors who continue to sponsor students or employees despite absences due to coronavirus. You do not need to report student or employee...
    Successful cases
    Daughter-in-law of an EEA national can stay in the UK 12.05.2021

    Our immigration team achieved great success in representing a client in her appeal against the Home Office’s decision to refuse issuance of the Residence Card as an extended family member of an EEA national.
    Our client, a Ukrainian national entered the UK as a Family Permit holder and was residing in the UK as an extended family member of an EEA national (her father-in-law was Portuguese). Our client lived with her husband and son, whose residence in the UK was also dependent on the same EEA national.

    Procedural unfairness in skilled worker (t2 general) application? 12.02.2021

    In the recent case of Topadar v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1525 the Court of Appeal examined two questions:

    At what point is an immigration application decided by the Home Office?
    Is it procedurally unfair for the Home Office to refuse an application due to the applicant’s sponsor (i.e. their employer) failing to provide additional information (without the applicant ever being made aware of the request)? 

    The Court of Appeal decided:

    Student loan for a NON-EU national 14.04.2021

    Sterling Law has successfully challenged a decision by Student Finance England to refuse a student loan to a settled non-EU national because it was not believed that he met the lawful residence requirements.

    Elderly mother permitted to stay in the UK with her british adult son and her grandchildren 21.04.2021

    Excellent news; adult dependent relative appeal allowed by the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)!

    Our client, an Indian national, came to the UK with her husband lawfully to visit their son and grandchildren, who are British nationals. Sadly, her husband passed away suddenly while they were in the UK. Our client had a history of dementia with Parkinson’s disease along with anxiety and depression, which made her return to India unachievable.

    EEA family member: permanent residence application after refusal 23.03.2021

    Our client, a non-EEA national, initially obtained a residence card as the spouse of an EEA national. Our client subsequently divorced from his EEA national spouse and obtained a residence card under the Retained Rights route. The client then applied for permanent residence, which was refused and a subsequent appeal was dismissed by First-Tier Tribunal as the Judge wrongly thought the client needed to be a qualified person, not his EEA national spouse during the time their marriage lasted. Permission to appeal on this basis was granted.