The Home Office announced introduction of the new in-country visa application system from November 2018. The system will be based on the online application functionality and operation of the new UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UK VCAS) Centres.
The first VCAS will open around the UK from 5 November and current Premium Service Centres will close on 29 November 2018.
The applicants will have the choice to use one of 57 Service Points throughout the UK. It is also expected that more flexible “on-demand” (formerly known as Super Premium) and mobile application services will be available, for example at university campuses, employers’ offices or individual customers’ homes.
The applicants in the UK seeking to remain in the UK or to settle permanently on the following routes will be eligible to use the new service UK Visa Citizenship Application Service (UK VCAS) from 5 November 2018:
- Tier 1 (Investor)
- Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
- Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
- Tier 2 (General)
- Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer): graduate trainee Tier
- 2 (Intra-Company Transfer): long term staff
- Tier 2 (Minister of Religion
- Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
- Tier 4 (General) student
- Tier 4 (Child) student
- Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)
- PBS Dependant – partner
- PBS Dependant – child
- Member of HM forces or their dependants
- Turkish Businessperson or Worker
- Dependant partner of a Turkish Businessperson or
- Worker (ECAA 3 – Dependant Partner)
- Dependent child of a Turkish Businessperson or
- Worker (ECAA 3 – Dependant Child)
- Settle or extend your leave in the UK – Turkish ECAA categories only
- Settle in the UK – long residence
- Settle in the UK – child
- Settle in the UK – partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in the UK
- Settle in the UK – HM forces category
- Settle in the UK – refugee or humanitarian protection
- Settle in the UK – certain categories only
- Registration certificate as an EEA or Swiss national
- Document certifying permanent residence as an EEA or Swiss national
- British citizenship by naturalisation
- Register for British citizenship as a child under 18
- Register as a British citizen
- Update, replace or transfer – biometric residence permit
- Other leave to remain applications within the rules (unless noted below)
- Apply for a Home Office travel document
Applicants on the remaining routes will continue to need to use the existing service until January 2019.
This includes most customers applying:
- To join family members in the UK as a dependant, other than a PBS dependent, armed forces dependent or ECAA dependent
- For family reunion with a refugee or person with humanitarian protection
- On the basis of statelessness
- On the basis of domestic violence under the specific route for that
- Making further submissions after a failed protection claim to only enrol your biometric information
- For a fee waiver or fee exemption
- For British citizenship
- For a certificate of right of abode
New UK Visa Application System Timeline
- 2 November: appointment booking tool will go live
- 5 November: new UK VCAS centres will start to open around the country and all locations will be open by 29 November 2018
- During the period of 5 – 29 November 2018, the majority of applicants can choose whether to enrol their biometrics and submit their documents via these new centres or use the existing processes via Premium Service Centres.
- 29 November: Premium Service Centres will close
- January 2019: Service and Support Centres will open.
NOTE: New Visa Centres’ staff are NOT authorised immigration advisers and, therefore, will not be able to provide advice on the applications and immigration requirements. In the past, we experienced many situations where applicants took advice from the clerks of the overseas visa centres which was inaccurate and led to the refusals.
UK Immigration & Legal Assistance
For expert advice and assistance in relation to your particular immigration case and to enquire about the immigration and legal fees, please contact our immigration lawyers on Tel. +44(0) 20 7822 8535, Mobile: +44 (0) 73 0584 8477, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or via our online appointment booking form.