Areas of Expertise
- Private Client
- Tax and Inheritance
- Family Office Matters
- Assets Freezing
- Landlord & Tenant
- Corporate Matters
- International tax, including inheritance taxation
- Structuring of business assets for private clients
- Restructuring of business structures
- International tax advice for individuals
- Legal and litigation case management and coordination of legal proceedings in various jurisdictions
- Representing clients before tax and other UK government agencies and provide pre-trial settlements for tax and financial investigations
- Tax investigations, assets freezing orders in EU countries and Switzerland
- International automatic exchange of information: CRS or FATCA, exchange of information by a request of tax and law enforcement authorities
- Assisting to UK based clients with HMRC and NCA tax inquiries
- Advising on relocation and tax residence planning and obtaining tax resident status – relocation of families to Gibraltar, UAE, Cyprus, Malta
- Managing private investigations, working with private detectives and forensic accountants to evaluate target assets for further court proceedings
Igor has over nine years of broad international experience in corporate and international matters, private client and family office matters as well as in business and corporate structuring.
He successfully managed multiple large-scale trial cases with broad international tax and litigation experience and a background in working across various jurisdictions.
Before joining Sterling Law, Igor was Of Counsel at IFS – a boutique international tax practice based in central London, established in 1971. Before that, he was responsible for the legal and corporate affairs of a major industrial group. He has also dealt with asset supervision and certain wealth management matters for UHNWI in multiple jurisdictions.
Amongst other matters, Igor has handled shareholders relations, internal and external mediations, shareholders dispute resolutions in various jurisdictions, court actions, and protection of shareholders’ interests across the world. Igor’s litigation experience includes managing tax disputes with various state authorities. He has hands-on experience in dealing with UHNWIs and managing multiple stakeholders.
Igor is also our client liaison manager and may act as your agent, so our clients have one senior point of contact. While the legal work is undertaken by our firm’s or third party’s lawyers, Igor oversees the overall client management, international aspects and smooth connection to any third party. He works closely with solicitors and barristers so that we can ensure everything, you require, is covered by our team.
Igor is an affiliate member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) and a member of the International Business Structuring Association (IBSA). Igor is a native Russian speaker.
Professional memberships & registrations:
- Affiliate member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member of The International Business Structuring Association (IBSA)
Igor co-ordinated and supervised the following cases:
- R (Merida Oil Traders Ltd) & Others v Central Criminal Court: a successful case against unlawful practice of the City of London Police of asking a broker to create cheque via production orders (POCA2002) to seize them later.
- Maxcrest Ltd. v. United States: International request for disclosure of US-based e-mail service contents by a request of a foreign tax authority.
- Funds freezing by the financial intelligence service and the state police in the EU countries.
- Funds freezing in the UK on suspicion of tax evasion and money laundering.
- International request for detailed disclosure of bank account information in Switzerland by a request of a foreign tax authority.
- Managing multi-jurisdictional trial case across different jurisdictions: Cyprus, BVI, Stockholm Arbitration.