Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation)
Free eligibility assessment for Global Talent visa
Cost of a Global Talent visa (Tech Nation)
£ 2,700 excl. VAT*
£ 4,100 excl. VAT*
£ 6,800 excl. VAT*
What is a UK Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation) and What Benefits Does it Offer?
The Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation) is an immigration program that allows talented and skilled individuals in the tech industry from all over the world to work in the United Kingdom. This visa program is designed to attract the brightest individuals in the tech sector to come and work in the UK, thereby boosting the country’s tech ecosystem.
To qualify for the Global Talent Visa, candidates must obtain an endorsement from UK Tech Nation. This organization is designated by the Home Office to evaluate endorsement applications for the visa.
To get the Global Talent Visa, you need to file a request through the Home Office, which is the legal entity responsible for issuing visas in the United Kingdom. The Global Talent Visa in the tech sector has several alternative names, including the Exceptional Talent Visa, Tech Nation Visa, or Tier-1 Visa. It is intended for foreigners with a proven track record of expertise and achievement in computer engineering, information technologies, FinTech, Deeptech, Artificial Intelligence, software development, robotics, and other related fields.
One of the most outstanding benefits of this visa is that it lets a visa holder bring their family (a partner and children under 18) with them to the country. This visa also does not tie you to a particular role, employer, or project.
With a Global Talent Visa, a person is allowed to change jobs freely or even stop working without getting permission from the Home Office, and they can move around the UK tech sector as they wish. Having a job offer to enter the United Kingdom is also not required for such a visa, and you can work as self-employed, an employee, or as a company director.
If you are granted a Global Talent Visa, you are eligible to live in the United Kingdom for a maximum of 5 years, with the option to extend your stay or seek permanent residency (settlement). Another significant advantage of this visa category is that it allows for requesting ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in just 3 years if the person is a leader in the digital industry, or 5 years if the person has the potential to lead.
As a holder of the Global Talent Visa, you can travel outside and return to the country without any restrictions during your visa validity period. So, receiving this visa is a brilliant opportunity for digital innovators to relocate with their family to live and work in the booming UK tech industry.
Who Can Get A Global Talent Visa in the tech sector?
The British Tech Nation Visa aims to encourage promising or exceptionally talented individuals, who are accomplished professionals in digital technology, to relocate to the UK and contribute their skills and know-how to the national high-tech industry. The visa is available to both technical and business applicants who fulfil the eligibility criteria.
Technical applicants are individuals who have expertise in one or more of the following fields:
- Cyber security
- Artificial intelligence
- Data science
- Information architecture
- Product management
- Software engineering and development
Business applicants are individuals who have experience in founding or scaling tech businesses. They must have a proven track record of success and be able to demonstrate that they have the skills and experience necessary to contribute to the development of the digital technology industry in the United Kingdom.
Both technical and business candidates must also meet a set of standard eligibility criteria, which includes demonstrating that they have a minimum of three years’ experience working in their field, that they are endorsed by an approved endorsing authority (UK Tech Nation), and that they meet the English language criterion.
Suitability Criteria for the Global Talent Visa in digital technology
If you are interested in applying for the Global Talent Visa in digital tech, there are two primary routes that you can explore. The first is Exceptional Talent, and the second is Exceptional Promise.
Acquiring the UK Global Talent Visa through Exceptional Talent
The exceptional talent route is a UK immigration pathway for individuals who have already made a name for themselves in their chosen profession. To qualify for this route, you should have accumulated at least five years of experience in your field and demonstrated a consistent track record of success. Additionally, you should have received recognition for your achievements, such as prestigious industry awards or invitations to speak at prominent tech events. Your work may have also been featured in reputable publications, both in print and online.
Individuals who have made notable contributions to open-source code on respected platforms, and have received significant engagement from the community, may be eligible for the exceptional talent route. This pathway provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals to showcase their skills and potentially secure a visa to work in the UK.
Acquiring the UK Global Talent Visa through Exceptional Promise
The exceptional promise scheme is intended for individuals who are in the early stages of their career, possessing five years of relevant work experience or less. To qualify for this route, you may possess a stellar academic record or have made noteworthy contributions to innovative or impactful projects within your tech company or employment. It is essential to exhibit potential as a future leader and show your meaningful contribution to a new digital field. Furthermore, you must secure three recommendations from senior stakeholders within the product-led digital tech industry to be eligible. This route is an excellent option for those who have already demonstrated exceptional potential and are committed to advancing their careers in the technology sector.
What is the Process of Applying?
Applying for a Global Talent Visa can be an exciting and challenging endeavour, but the real chance to work in the UK’s thriving tech industry is worth the effort. This is a detailed guide that outlines the step-by-step process for applying for the Global Talent Visa.
Step 1. Apply for Endorsement
The application procedure for the UK Global Talent visa is divided into two stages, both of which must be completed. The first stage involves visiting the Home Office site and navigating to the block called Global Talent endorsement – Stage 1, where you will fill in an initial application form and pay the fee of £456. Once this stage is finished, you will be redirected to the Tech Nation website to continue the process.
The Tech Nation website will prompt you to fill out a Tech Nation Visa application form and upload necessary evidence. Your eligibility for endorsement shall be evaluated on the basis of data and evidence provided. If you are successfully endorsed, the Home Office will send you a letter of endorsement via email. To secure your visa, you must act quickly upon receiving the endorsement letter and complete the next stage of applying for a visa within 3 months. Failure to do so in time may result in denial of your visa application.
It should be noted that endorsement may not be necessary in certain circumstances, such as being awarded a prize that is recognised by the Home Office, having a previous endorsement, or the need for an extension.
Step 2. Apply for Visa
Once Tech Nation endorses you, you can begin the visa application. Keep in mind that endorsements are typically valid for 3 months, and you will need to apply for the Global Talent visa during this time. Not applying within the allotted timeframe will require you to obtain another endorsement. Additionally, if you plan on relocating with family members, their information must be included in your application.
Applications for the UK Global Talent Visa are made online through the Home Office website. The application process is also divided into several phases:
- To start the process of obtaining a Global Talent visa, you must complete and submit the designated online application form. The specific form that needs to be filled out will vary depending on whether you are currently residing within or outside of the United Kingdom, as well as whether you are seeking an extension of your existing visa or switching to a different visa category altogether.
- You will have to pay an application fee of £167, as well as a healthcare surcharge of £624 per year of the intended visa per applying adult (this must be paid in full when submitting the application) to access UK National Health Services. The healthcare surcharge amount for child dependant applicants is £470 per year of the intended visa.
- Next, you will be able to schedule and attend a biometric interview at the closest UKVCAS office if present in the UK, or visa application centre (VAC) if located outside the UK. During the interview, your fingerprints will be scanned, and a facial photo will be taken.
- You will need to submit any necessary documentation as required by the Home Office to corroborate your UK Global Talent Visa application.
Step 3. Wait for Outcome
After finishing the visa application process, it is necessary to await a reply from the UK Home Office. They will normally let you know about your application outcome within 3 weeks if you are outside the UK, or 8 weeks if inside the UK, either granting you the visa or rejecting it. If you are granted the visa, you can begin planning your move to the UK and preparing for your exciting career in the UK tech industry.
What Documents Must be Provided to Apply for the Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation)?
When applying for the Global Talent Visa, you will have to provide certain papers to support your application. These papers typically include:
- A valid passport. If you are applying from within the UK, you should also provide your current visa or biometric residence permit.
- Endorsement letter. You must obtain an endorsement letter from Tech Nation. This letter will confirm that you have the skills and experience required to work in the tech industry in the United Kingdom.
- Evidence of qualifications. You will be required to provide evidence of your qualifications and any relevant certifications. This may include degree certificates, professional qualifications, and training certificates. If you hold any notable award in the related sphere, you can also provide evidence of it.
- Proof of English language proficiency. It is necessary to present proof of meeting the English language knowledge standards.
- Curriculum vitae (CV).You will need to provide a copy of your CV, outlining your work experience, skills, and qualifications, as well as your publication history.
- Bank statements. You will need to submit bank statements showing that you have enough funds to support yourself and any dependants during your stay in the UK.
- Supporting documents. You may also be required to provide additional supporting documents, such as letters of recommendation, business plans, or evidence of your contribution to the tech industry.
Note that if your documents are not written in English or Welsh, they must be accompanied by translations. Some candidates may be required to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test as part of the visa application process. This is a UK government requirement for all visa applicants who have been resident in certain countries for more than six months. The tuberculosis test must be conducted at a TB testing centre that is authorized by the UK government, and the resulting certificate should be included with your visa application.
How Long Does it Take to Process The Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation)?
The Global Talent (Tech Nation) Visa processing time can vary depending on various factors, such as the number of applications being processed at a particular time, the completeness and accuracy of your application, and the workload of the UK Visas and Immigration team.
According to the UK government website, the standard processing time for a Global Talent Visa is around three weeks for out-of-country applications and eight weeks for in-country applications . However, this processing time is only an estimate and it can take a longer or shorter time depending on the individual case.
If you need a faster processing time, you can consider using the priority or super-priority services, which are paid options that expedite the processing time. The priority service usually takes around 5 business days, while the super-priority service can provide a decision within one working day. Availability and processing times of these services also depend on which country you are applying from. These services come with an additional fee and do not guarantee a positive decision on your application, as they only speed up the application’s processing time.
It is recommended that you apply for a Global Talent Technician Visa well in advance of your intended travel or work start date to allow for any unexpected delays in processing.
UK Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation) Fees
The total fees for a Global Talent Visa (Tech Nation) comprise:
- Global Talent endorsement fee: £524.
- Visa application fee: £192 where endorsement is required and £716 where endorsement is not required. The application fee for dependants is £716 per person.
- Healthcare surcharge: £624 per year of the visa for an adult applicant and £470 per year of the visa for a child dependant applicant (calculated based on the length of time you will be in the UK).
- If you are using the priority or super-priority service to expedite your application, there will be additional fees to pay. From outside the UK, the priority service costs £500 and the super-priority service costs £1000. From inside the UK, the priority fee is £500 and the super-priority fee is £1000.
Note that these fees may change over time, and you should always check the latest UK government guidance or consult well-established UK immigration lawyers for up-to-date information.
How Can We Help?
Sterling Law is at the forefront of UK personal and corporate immigration solutions. Our team of seasoned immigration lawyers in London caters to individuals from every corner of the globe and some of the most reputable UK and international corporations for their employees’ immigration matters. Our areas of expertise include:
- handling Tech Nation endorsement and visa applications and other Global Talent category endorsement from an authorised entity and visa applications;
- assisting with Sponsor Licence applications and immigration compliance audits for your organization;
- managing Global Talent endorsement and visa rejections;
- facilitating the process of bringing your partner and children to the UK;
- guiding you through the intricate procedure of obtaining settlement and British citizenship.
Our unwavering commitment to excellence and vast experience in British immigration law will ensure that your immigration goals are achieved for the benefit of you and your loved ones.
Our Recent Successful cases for Global Talent (Tech Nation) Visa
Our team has a long list of successful cases, and we are ready to help out new global talents seeking relocation to the United Kingdom. Choosing our service will not only make it easier for you to pass the procedure, but it will also maximize your chances of it being successful. We were able to achieve a lot of positive results for our Global Talent clients and would be glad to share our experience with you.
- How to get a Global Talent visa decision within one week
- Global Talent cases: Fashion Designing, Tech Nation and world-record time in receiving decisions
- Successful endorsement by Tech Nation was granted to a UX/UI designer after initial refusal
- Another successful Global Talent for Software Engineer
- Successful endorsement for Global Talent in science/ engineering area
- FinTech client received TechNation endorsement
- Successful Endorsement by the TechNation